CSCS Mock Questions
When you choose to sit your CSCS test with Construction Awards, we offer our expert guidance to help lead you to success. When it comes to preparing for your Health, Safety and Environment test, you should allow yourself time to revise thoroughly.
Without passing your CSCS test, you can’t apply for your Construction Skills Card and without that card you may not be able to work. Don’t leave it to chance, prepare before going into the test centre to give yourself the optimum opportunity for success.
Below is a variety of past exam questions. You should use these as a mock test to help get yourself ready for the real deal. Answers can be found at the bottom of the page. Remember that there are a number of CSCS cards and Managers, Supervisors and Specialists require different papers, if you are taking one of these tests you should make extra preparations. If you haven’t booked your test yet, call us on 0203 689 6685 or fill in our online form.
Past Exam Questions
1. During site induction you do not understand something the presenter says. What should you do?
A) Attend another site induction
B) Ask the presenter to explain the point again
C) Guess what the presenter was trying to tell you
D) Wait until the end then ask someone else to explain
2. You have witnessed a serious accident on your site and are to be interviewed by a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector. Should you:
A) Ask your supervisor what you should say to the inspector
B) Not tell the inspector anything
C) Co-operate and tell the inspector exactly what you saw
D) Tell the inspector what your workmates have told you
3. When would you expect eyewash bottles to be provided?
A) Only on demolition sites where asbestos has to be removed
B) Only on sites where refurbishment is being carried out
C) On all sites where people could get something in their eyes
D) On all sites where showers are needed
4. Someone goes to the pub at lunchtime and has a couple of pints of beer. What should they do next?
A) Drink plenty of strong coffee then go back to work
B) Stay away from the site for the rest of the day
C) Stay away for an hour and then go back to work
D) Eat something, wait 30 minutes and then go back to work
5. When using water to keep dust down when cutting you must ensure:
A) There is as much water as possible
B) The water flow is correctly adjusted
C) Somebody stands next to you and pours water from a bottle
D) Water is poured onto the surface to soak it, before you start cutting
6. As a rule of thumb noise levels may be a problem if you have to shout to be clearly heard by someone who is standing:
A) 2m away
B) 4m away
C) 5m away
D) 6m away
7. How can asbestos be correctly identified?
A) The dust gives off a strong smell
B) By getting a sample analysed in a lab
C) By the colour of the dust
D) By putting a piece in water and seeing if it dissolves
8. Look at these statements about wearing a safety helmet in hot weather. Which one is true?
A) You can drill holes in it to keep your head cool
B) You can wear it back-to-front if it is more comfortable that way
C) You must take it off during the hottest part of the day
D) You must wear it at all times and in the right way
9. You need to work near an electrical cable. The cable has bare wires. What should you do?
A) Quickly touch the cable to see if it is live
B) Check there are no sparks coming from the cable and then start work
C) Tell your supervisor and keep well away
D) Push the cable out of the way so that you can start work
10. Round red and white signs with a diagonal line are:
A) Mandatory signs – meaning you MUST do something
B) Prohibition signs – meaning you MUST NOT do something
C) Warning signs – alerting you to hazards or danger
D) Safe condition signs – giving you information
11. You need to walk past someone using a mobile crane. You should:
A) Guess what the crane operator will do next and squeeze by
B) Try to catch the attention of the crane operator
C) Run to get past the crane quickly
D) Take another route so that you stay clear of the crane
12. A hot work permit allows you to:
A) Work in hot weather
B) Carry out work that needs warm, protective clothing
C) Carry out work that could start a fire
D) Light a bonfire
13. Who should decide what weight is safe for you to lift as part of a safe system of work?
B) Your supervisor/employer
C) You and your supervisor/employer
D) The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
14. When could you use a ladder as a place of work?
A) If it is long enough
B) If you can find a ladder to use
C) If other people do not need to use it for access
D) If you are doing light work for a short time
15. You need to walk through sludge at the bottom of a confined space. Which of these is NOT a hazard?
A) The release of oxygen
B) The release of toxic gases
C) Slips and trips
D) The release of flammable gases
16. You have been asked to clean up oil that has leaked from machinery onto the ground. What is the right way to do this?
A) Put the oily soil into the general waste skip
B) Put the oily soil into a separate container for collection as hazardous waste
C) Mix the soil up with other soil so that the oil cannot be seen
D) Wash the oil away with water and detergent
1. B 4. B 7. B 10. B 13. C 16. B
2. C 5. B 8. D 11. D 14. D
3. C 6. A 9. C 12. C 15. A